心情好,心情坏,看心经,抄心经,星与心,心语星,星雨满天心,愿大家都有心经哦!

以无常心看心经,以平常心写心经~

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Matang Dolphin Survey~ 海上的精灵(Part 1)

I saw once before in Facebook, the poster of Dolphin survey in Langkawi, during my undergraduate period. I still remember that my coursemate had been selected but I’m not. Not even a reply… Haiz… What a sad memory…. =(
 
However, during my 4 months break, this poster so called “coincidentally” appeared again when I slide across my News Feed page, which the only difference between the 2 posters was the term “Langkawi” had changed to “Matang”. But the coin doesn’t affect me much, especially my passion and excitement towards the term “DOLPHIN” at all… Hahaha! I guess the feeling is like: Who care about where is the place, the most important thing is I could see the damn cute Dolphs!!!
 
10533387_763622370362731_5417960433055170631_n
The Langkawi Research Project is a project of The MareCet Research Organization, an NGO dedicated to the study and conservation of marine mammals in Malaysia.
And so, I tried my luck this time to not being rejected like last time. Therefore, I emailed my enquiry but I realize that the survey period was just fitly fell into my activity schedule where between the 2 weeks survey, I already promise to present at my Shequ23’s Zhong Yang wedding dinner and also to attend YBAM National-State Joint Meeting. I started to worried as the requirement mentioned that preference will be given to volunteers who can commit to whole survey period.
 
Takkanlah 2 times both I also couldn’t join?! No wayyyyy…..
 
But yeah! I was notified in the end that me and another person have been selected! (Deep from my heart tell me that perhaps this time there were not many people applying for that because it’s hard for those who still studying to skip their classes for 10 days…). From that day onwards, it’s like never been so excited, so eagerly to witness the dolphin jump out of the water in front of me…. Hahaha! What? It’s normal to have this kind of imagination ok???
 
Well, once I back from Malacca on 8th Sepetember, straight I drove to Taiping (which is my first time) to my relative aunt’s house, which also my first time seeing them because it’s my aunt’s husband’s parent’s house (how many ’ I should use here @@). Before that, I’ve tried my best to search for a low budget hotel or any friend’s house but not manage to because either the hotel is still too expensive for me or my friend they are not at their hometown that time.
 
Once I reached Taiping via North-South Expressway with the aid of Waze, I had came to Panorama Hotel in Taiping town to meet up with the coordinator, Vivian and other volunteers as well for a briefing prior to survey which started on the next day. We had dinner together and went up to the room for briefing (don’t use your dirty mind thinking about what we doing in hotel’s room huh!!! It’s just normal briefing!!!").
But you know what, from the briefing, all the terms and data collection procedures suddenly like
 
“LOADING…  5%…. 55%… 89%…”
 
in my mind. It’s like a century I never encountered those words in my daily life…. Aiyor, memanglah macam tu if already disconnected from Marine Biology since after graduated….
Reading till here, surely you want to scold me for being too long breath and why not faster go into the survey part about the dolphins!!! Hahaha~ Alright, then I jump to next day, which was our first day of survey. Don’t worry, I will not write day-by-day because basically almost everyday was the same….
6.00am: wake up
6.30am: depart from Aunt’s house to Panorama Hotel
7.00am: boat skipper ride us to Kuala Sepetang
7.45am: Reach Kuala Sepetang, have breakfast
8.30am: Get into research vessel and start surveying
5.00pm-6.30pm: End Search and back to port
Normally, we will pack our lunch, e.g. Nasi Lemak/ Meehoon Goreng, in the Tupperware to fill in our stomach in the boat. Sometimes, with only breads and biscuit (The “sometimes” I meant here is only referring to the 1st day, because I cannot stand of just eating breads as lunch larrrr…. Hungry….).
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Here is Kuala Sepetang Port, where usually fishermen and some old folks spending their time playing mahjong during evening.
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
This is where our research vessel embark.
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Here we go!!! Our research vessel~
As you can see, on top deck area there are two chairs served for two observers (1st & 2nd observer) to sit/ stand at a higher degree to look for dolphins through binocular/ naked eyes. As we are standing higher, we can cover for a wider area at one time.
 
image
While the 3rd observer will be standing at the Bow area of the boat.
 
For volunteer like me, I can only help out as 3rd observer because 1st and 2nd observer required to be experienced as usually dolphins were spotted by them as they can see the dolphins from far. However, actually 3rd observer was the one who need to be standing all the time (no chair mah….) and has to keep balance of the body himself to avoid from fall into the water which caused by…..
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA><SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Now you know why balancing is a vital survival kit for 3rd observer.
 

 
Surprise always come to me even on my first volunteering day. I’d never expected to have this kind of gift given to me on my first day… @@
 
20140911_16025420140911_160117
From a sunshine bright sunny afternoon….
but then, it turns out…
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Like this…
We saw this at the horizontal line from far….
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Together with the wind blow, sky turning darker in a short time, all of us equipped ourselves with raincoat and prepare for the thunderstorm…
 
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
Ya, it’s coming and I could not picture you how we withstand the whole period by banging here and there and to take care of our stuff and equipment, also keep shivering due to the strong wind and cool raindrops.



<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>Alright, I know you must been waiting for long for the dolphin’s part.
Let you see the fin first la… (Muahahaha!!!) *** It’s not shark ya!
 
   Okay, so enjoy the simple short clip that I made with the help from Windows Movie Maker. All videos were recorded by me using normal Digital Camera, therefore sorry for low resolution.
 
To be continued….

1 comment:

  1. WoW !!!!! Dolphin !!!! wowowowow !! so cute ~~~ wah wah wah ~~~ omg ~~ the dolphin is shining !!! I want steal the video wakakaka !!!!

    ReplyDelete

参一参

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

About This Blog